Celebrating my 45th birthday this year I realised the struggle against ageing is real. Ageing is a given, but ageing gracefully is possible, and here at Skin Deep SA we want to advise you on the correct lifestyle, product and treatment choices.
Like everything in life, consistency is key to getting great results. Prevention is better than cure and it is never too late to improve and treat your skin. Taking small steps, every day, towards a better self is the way to go!
Your skin is classified as an ageing skin by the age of 25 and it is therefore never too early to start looking after it. As you age you may notice that your skin becomes rougher, thinner, sensitive, dry and sunspots and wrinkles may appear.
Firstly, in giving tips for anti-ageing we need to look at our lifestyle as it plays such a huge role in our general wellbeing. We need to eat plenty of fresh foods, exercise regularly, and sleep well. Avoid too much sun exposure, smoking, excessive drinking and avoid toxic people/situations.
When looking at products that will keep your skin young and healthy you may want to focus on the following ingredients:
- Sunblock: Choose a sunblock that protects skin against UVA, UVB, Infra-Red and high energy visible light (cellphones and laptops)
- Vit C Serum: to have protection against free radical damage and pollution
- Retinol: to stimulate cell turnover
- Growth Factor serums: To stimulate new collagen formation
- Exfoliator: to remove superficial dead skin
- The Correct Moisturizer: That offers a healthy skin barrier function and Hydration
The best in-clinic treatments for ageing includes medical microneedling, chemical peels , skinboosters, fractionated laser and PRP treatments (Vampire Facial). You may also want to visit your doctor to have Botulinum Toxin, Fillers and Threads.
Most important is to live a balanced lifestyle. A healthy body equals a healthy mind.
May we stay forever young,
Somatologist and lover of all things skin.